Monday, April 10, 2006

Miscellanous

Okay, I'm not doing so well at keeping this site up-to-date. On the plus side, not much has been going on. Except we've been watching movies as always. Most recently, we finally viewed our purchased copied of Capote. It is very well-done, although I think I missed out on some things just because I am not that familiar with Truman Capote's history, or really American Literature in general. I still rated it a 7 overall. Then there was Memoirs of a Geisha, which I also rate a 7. I often enjoy stories of oriental culture, but this one was a little slow paced. Plus, I was hoping for more spectacular visuals like Hero. Another historical flick, Good Night, and Good Luck didn't really hit home with me. The quality still rates it a 7, but I wasn't really sitting on the edge of my seat. I did remark at all the smoking -- my, how the times have changed. The critically acclaimed A History of Violence also fell a little flat in my opinion. The acting was spectacular, but I am tired of mob stories. I hoped for something even more surprising and rated this only a 6. Probably the movie I have enjoyed the most of late is V for Vendetta. Of course, being the latest from the Wachowski brothers, I was anticipating something great. It didn't have as much action as I hoped for, but the story and interactions were still superb. I give this one an 8. Finally, yes I expected some laughs when I went in to see Ultraviolet. Even trying to view this as a comedy, I can't really give it more than a 2 rating. My friend said that it is trying to be a live-action Anime movie. I could see how that might be the case, but better character development would help. It's pretty sad when I start to feel sorry for the non-existent special effects.

No comments: