Monday, October 16, 2006

Boston Movies

Justin wanted to see the new Scorsese movie, so we went to The Departed yesterday morning. I'm rating it a 7 for now, which is kind of a stretch. Although the acting was superb, and the story starts off interesting, I don't feel that it really went anywhere. I mean I am starting to get used to movies that just "end", but there wasn't even the usual character depth that one comes to expect from a good drama. Furthermore, there were too many holes in the story that made the situation not very believable. Yet I really enjoyed Nicholson's and Baldwin's performances. So for comparison, we also watched Good Will Hunting, which still holds to its perfect 10 rating. Now here's a Boston I can believe in and characters I care about. 'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad & I also so the movie. It was way to bloody for me. The ending left both of us feeling empty, hopeless, disgusted, etc, but it was definitely not expected. It would have helped to have more character developement. I also enjoyed Nicholson's performance, but not Baldwin's.

Anonymous said...

Have you watched Internal Affairs, the HK movie this was based on. No not the Richard Gere/ Andy Garcia yawner, but the one from Hong Kong? How does that stack up to this? Sarah and I watched it and enjoyed it subtitles and all- ralston

Anonymous said...

Response to Ralston: I have Infernal Affairs on my Netflix list. (By the way, the Richard Gere movie you're talking about is InTernal Affairs, and I actually like it just because his character is so unabashedly evil.)

My comment is that both Good Will Hunting and The Departed use the slang 'statey' to refer to state troopers. It must be common in Boston, but to me it was new.