Friday, July 06, 2007

Movies movies movies

So since it rained while we were in North Carolina, and since we wanted to relax and are such big movie fans anyway, we watched several while we were there. Then, when we came home we watched several more. Here is an update of what I've seen recently.

It started with Super Size Me, which I've seen several times now and still rate an 8. It just does a very good job of describing the state of fast food in this country and how harmful it can be.

Then we watched another documentary, An Inconvenient Truth which I'm only going to rate a 7. This one is a little more boring and has a section about the 2000 election that drags on too long. I think the movie is worth watching and the information is presented very well.

Next we went to something a little different, Peaceful Warrior, based on a book by the same name. Although some of the concepts were interesting, I was not impressed with the acting and I question a few of the precepts. Therefore, this one rates a 5.

When I first got back, I set up a John McClane marathon starting with Die Hard, the action classic from 1988. I rate this movie an 8 because it is one of my favorite Bruce Willis roles and one of the key movies that started my love for the action genre. The marathon continued with Die Hard 2, which is still very enjoyable but just not quite as good as the first, so it rates an 7. Then we come to the disappointment of the series, Die Hard With a Vengance. I still don't like how they turned John's character into a total loser. I rate this one a 5. Finally, I went to see the new one, Live Free or Die Hard which brought back some of the first's feel, but then had to go over the top in a couple of scenes. Thus, I am rating this one a 7, as I think it falls about where the second one does in comparison to the rest.

Another movie we bought and watch recently is the foreign film, Pan's Labyrinth. I had heard great reviews and it seemed like something I would like, but when I finally got to see the entire thing it left me really depressed. I had no idea it would be so dark. I still rate it an 8, because the acting and effects are spectacular.

Just recently, we decided to do a mini "1995 Academy Awards" marathon and watched both Forrest Gump and The Shawshank Redemption in the same night. They both still rate a 9 and 10 respectively in my book. It's sad that there hasn't been many years like that where so many of the nominees for Best Picture are ones that I actually enjoy.

No comments: