Monday, May 23, 2011

My Goal to run a 5K

Okay, so when I learned about Orc Stomp last week, it was the final straw to urge me into some sort of running program since I have been considering doing that for awhile. I have never been much of a runner, but I do feel like it is better for my body than simply walking and I figure if a bunch of other geeks can do it, then so can I. Besides, I have also been thinking about some sort of "structure" to add to my exercise routines so a 'Couch to 5K' deal along with some weight lifting seemed like a good start.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been doing interval training on the elliptical machine every morning for 20 minutes. I did a test run of the first session of the Couch to 5k schedule on Saturday to see how it would go -- It felt great! Unfortunately, I spent the rest of the day Saturday doing rigorous yard-work and nearly threw out my back. So yesterday was a big REST and planning day. I talked with my husband on what kind of weight training to do. He has done some lifting in the past and put together a nice schedule for me which starts with a couple of weeks of simple strengthening exercises before I actually pick up a serious weight. (I am a big weakling.)

The plan is to lift on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; run on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays; and rest on Sunday. This works best with my current work and sleep schedule and will hopefully make it easier to stick with for the long term.

This morning I did 90 sit-ups, 18 push-ups (yes on my knees 'cause I'm a girl), 24 squats and 24 calf raises. My legs can already feel a little burn, but I'm sure that will pass in time.

Wish me luck! I'll hopefully keep this site updated as I progress. Feel free to bug me now and then if you want to know how it's going. You know -- accountability and all that. ;)

1 comment:

pintomama said...

You can do it!! :)