Saturday, September 18, 2004

Delayed Litho update

I apologize that I did not report the outcome of my lithotripsy any sooner. It's just that I started feeling so much better, and I wanted to focus on increased recovery as fast as possible. So the basic outcome of the procedure is that it was successful. Low-down on the details: I went back to the hospital and got drugged up again. They don't put you completely under anesthesia for this, but I did get Valium as well as some other relaxing drug. Then they put me up on this table that has an opening across the middle. Basically you are situated with your butt hanging down so the "machine" (which I couldn't see) can have easy access to your kidney or the area where the stone is at. Above me they used an x-ray-like device to pinpoint exactly where the blockage was. Then, they just start pounding. At least that is what it felt like. A little, blunt hammer tap-tap-taps away at my back. This goes on for about 40 minutes. If the pain starts to bother me, I just raise my hand, and the nurse comes in and gives me more drugs through my IV. If I remember correctly (which of course is hard in my drug-hazened memory), I raised my hand like 3 or 4 times during this. When I got home, I slept for 4 hours just to get all the pain medication out of my system. I had a little naseau for a few more hours, but after that, I started feeling terrific again. I mean, almost back to my normal self! So, long story short -- instead of one big stone, I now have a bunch of little ones. And for those of you playing the home game, none of them have passed yet. But at least I don't feel any pain, and right now that's a big relief for me.

No comments: