Thursday, November 09, 2006

Special guest on House M.D.

Have you seen that show? Well, even if you haven't seen that one in particular, I'm sure you have seen one medical program or another. One where there is a sick patient and they can't figure out what the problem is. So they guess one thing, give her some medicine and see what happens. Oh wait, this is drama, so of course that doesn't work. There is a bad reaction and now we have to guess again and give her a different medication. Now what happens? Eventually, things are supposed to work out. But it really sucks if your real life has turned into being that "experimental" patient. The emergency room never really did confirm the kidney infection. But they pushed my I.V. with some antibiotic, gave me acetaminophen for the fever, and phentinol (fentanyl?) for the back pain. Then they proscribed me a different antibiotic (Cipro) and different pain reliever (oxycodone) and sent me home. Wednesday, my first full day on these two and I was feeling much better except for a little nausea which I attributed to the oxycodone. However today the nausea got much worse. I had two small bouts in the morning, and as usual, after your body empties your stomach you get some adrenaline to help you feel better for a bit. I ate a little bit of bread and actually went in to work. But by the third hour there I was extremely nauseous again. I couldn't even keep plain water down after that. So Justin calls the hospital. They think I am having a bad reaction to the Cipro (antibiotic) and refer me to another new doctor. So we trek back in this afternoon. By now I have a splitting migraine, can't sit up straight for long, and hate the light. Hmm... their guess is that the infection is gone and my nausea is really a reaction to something viral. Can't do much for that except give me something to get rid of the migraine and nausea and let nature take its course. Sounds like another gamble to me. Oh well, so far so good. After four hours, I've been able to keep gatorade (to replenish electrolytes), water, chicken broth and even a little applesauce down. I have a little bit of headache, but I think it's from sinus pressure. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: