Friday, March 20, 2009

Who Watches?

So I have delayed a little bit on my review of Watchmen. I saw it opening weekend on an IMAX screen and I really enjoyed it. Then, I borrowed the full graphic novel from a coworker and enjoyed the reading, but not as much. Finally, I went back to the theatre again last night to watch it again in the new AMC Cinema Suites.

I'm going to rate the movie a 9 overall. I really enjoyed the feel of the film, especially during my first viewing. I did not like the graphic novel as much, mostly because it is so dated, but also because I think some of the characters were just too weak to be believed as true "heroes". I like all the changes made in the movie and I think it builds a stronger story in the long run.

The new theatre I will give a rating of 5. There were some good things -- a very comfy recliner, being served at my seat, more space, and no kids. But there were also some bad things -- the leather seats squeaked pretty loudly, some of the servers didn't crouch and thus blocked my view, some of the patrons thought that a smaller theatre meant they could make more noise, and bad food. In the end, I think I would go back, but it would have to be the right kind of movie and the right kind of circumstances.

No comments: