Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Save the Internet

Okay, so you all know that I rarely get political. Politics in general are one of those very personal topics that I tend to leave alone because I believe that people should be allowed to have their own opinions and convictions. Yet every once in awhile a topic comes along that rattles me so much that I feel the need to speak out or do something. This is one of those times. If you are not familiar with the Save the Net issue, let me try to summarize: Internet backbone providers want to find ways to make more money. This doesn't bother me. But their plan is to basically start dividing up the traffic and charging extra fees for "premium" service. This means that those people who do not pay extra, will start to have degraded service. In other words, small sites like this one (my little blog) will become slow. Lots of controversial, independent voices could eventually be stifled. The assumed equality of all pages on the Web will no longer be true. In my opinion, there are other ways to make money than to start adding a class structure to the network traffic. So I am signing the petition to try and block Congress from passing a bill that will make this possible. And if you feel similarly, please sign it too. Okay, I've put the soap box away again.

No comments: