Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Corp Challenge Update

Well, it's been awhile since I announced my Corporate Challenge aspirations. I figured I should provide an update on how my "getting-into-shape" goals are progressing. Volleyball: I played on a company team for a couple nights and discovered that all the other ladies have been playing together for a long time. They didn't really need an extra newbie, so I'm no longer a candidate for that event. Bowling: There were barely enough ladies to sign up for this event, so I'm definitely playing on the Coed team. Recently, I have played a few practice games and I've been bowling lousy, so I need to get a lot more training in before the June 3 tournament. Pool: Here there were 3 ladies who signed-up for the 1 person slot. So far, I have beaten one woman and tied the other, so it is still a little up in the air. I am not a shark by any means, but I am remembering a lot of the basic skills that will probably put me in the middle of the pack. A few of my coworkers have been going to Side Pockets weekly during lunch to get some practice in, and that is helping. Racquetball: Again, not very many volunteers here -- only 2 of us signed up for this sport. However, as I tried to schedule in some practice I learned that none of the Bally's Fitness Centers in Kansas City have racquetball courts anymore. I am still hoping to play a little on some pay courts, but otherwise I will bow out to other lady and just be an alternate. Soccer: Ahh, now here is where I hoped to have the most fun. There actually are several women who registered for this event. I haven't heard anything about company try-outs yet, so I figured I should get in some practice on my own. I went back to my old hang-out, All American and signed-up for and indoor Mom's team. It's really just a house team for their 28-and-over-no-experience-required league. I played in my first game this week, and man, am I out of shape! Luckily, most of the other ladies have not ever played soccer before, so I didn't look too bad. Despite my wheezing, huffing, missing, and stumbling I managed to score a goal! I am really happy about playing again, so even if I don't get to participate in the Corporate Challenge I will at least have met my personal goal. I'll keep posting more information as this adventure progresses.

No comments: